Topics

Subscription Query / McPhails

MARGARET KIPP

With respect to the McPhail "list", there used to be a very active McPhail list but I can't recall if it was a Rootsweb list or perhaps something else.  It still comes up occasionally when I do a google search.  I will be looking for this information soon as it now appears to me that my McPhails came from Kilmartin originally but  twenty years ago I was sure they were from Mull originally.  I would definitely like to see a Clan Cameron site, but want to clarify if Clan Chattan is essentially the Camerons.

My ancestors are from Perthshire, Invernesshire and Argyllshire.

Valorie, what were the dates for your gggrandmother Margaret McPhail? We have a number of Margaret McPhails in our family, including my granny Margaret McPhail (1879-1963).

Cheers, Margaret

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 12:58 PM MARGARET KIPP <margaretkipp@...> wrote:
With respect to the McPhail "list", there used to be a very active McPhail list but I can't recall if it was a Rootsweb list or perhaps something else.  It still comes up occasionally when I do a google search.  I will be looking for this information soon as it now appears to me that my McPhails came from Kilmartin originally but  twenty years ago I was sure they were from Mull originally.  I would definitely like to see a Clan Cameron site, but want to clarify if Clan Chattan is essentially the Camerons.

According to Wikipedia, "Clan Chattan (Scottish Gaelic: Na Catanaich or Scottish Gaelic: Clann Chatain) is a Highland Clan Confederation. The clan is unique in highland clan history in that it was acknowledged to be a community or confederation, of twelve separate Scottish clans, who each had their own clan chief recognized under Scottish law, but who were united under and bound to a superior chief of the confederation for mutual solidarity, sustenance and protection in the Middle Ages and early modern period in the Scottish Highlands." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Chattan

During the 14th century, Clan Chattan  "evolved into an alliance or confederation of clans which was made up firstly of the descendants of the original clan (Clan Cattanach, Clan Macpherson, Clan MacBean (or McBain), Clan MacPhail, secondly of the Clan Mackintosh and their cadet branches (Clan Shaw, Clan Farquharson, the Ritchies, and Clan MacThomas) and thirdly of families who were not originally related by blood (Clan MacGillivray, Clan Davidson, the Macleans of Dochgarroch, Clan Macqueen, the MacIntyres of Badenoch and the Clan Macandrews)." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Chattan

Wikipedia doesn't mention the Camerons.

My ancestors are from Perthshire, Invernesshire and Argyllshire.

Valorie, what were the dates for your gggrandmother Margaret McPhail? We have a number of Margaret McPhails in our family, including my granny Margaret McPhail (1879-1963).

Cheers, Margaret

Hi Margaret,

I must have had temporary blindness concerning the McPhail list. Sorry about that! Yes it exists, and I'm the listowner, and as such, have just created https://groups.io/g/McPhail-Genealogy. Once the new group is approved, I'll be sending out invitations to all list members. Gosh! Thanks for waking me up.

My second-great-grandmother was Margaret McPhail who was born (supposedly) 4 August 1822 in Stamford, Delaware, New York, USA or Genesee, NY and died 14 February 1872 at Juniper Hill Farm, Puslinch, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I've done only the most desultory research on her and her family so far.

Valorie