Topics

Clan Cameron

MARGARET KIPP

I am willing to do Clan Cameron.  Just found i might be descended from them.
Margaret

Heather Cameron

Margaret, I am open to you doing the Clan Cameron one.

My Camerons hail from Inveravon, Banff, early 1700s. This is certainly a Clan Chattan area. They were also closely connected to Clan Grant.
Early 1700 they are on records as being McPhailes. The name got changed by William to Cameron alias McPhaile who married a very young 18 year old
Grant woman when he was in his mid 40s. This William McPhaile could have been over fur trading with the Grants in Canada for years. Hard to work out
whether they were originally Camerons or the marriage took place as long as he converted. Clan McPhail were apparently in disrepute at the time. ie. it is said that the wives were playing up and the men needed fast horses. So one doesn't know whether the name change was due to social pressure or what.

The only John McPhaile I have been able to trace in the records for late 1600s was a guy who was in the army and with Campbell when the platoon went into Glencoe and did that dastardly killing of the McDonalds. William, the son, named his first born son, James, and this got repeated down the generations. Should rightly have been John, going by the paternal grandfather's name. Perhaps John McPhail was actually in hiding. An ancestor William Cameron became a very successful business man in Chicago USA with his Cameron Canning Co..

Does anyone know more about this?

Heather Cameron

MARGARET KIPP

Hi Heather:
Thank you for your response. I am new to doing this type of list.  My main experience was running a Facebook groups for my public school, animed at Alumni. Any advice, suggestions more than welcome.  I am "replying to group" as I think that allows everyone to see the response. Let me know if I should be choosing another option.

Although I have only had suggestions that I might have Camerons in my ancestry, in the last two months I have done research using Ancestry that makes it appear I am descended from the Cameron of Locheil who was so active with the Jacobites in 1745.  This came as a total surprise as I was trying to determine whether Ewen McPhee the Outlaw from Loch Quoich was an ancestor or perhaps part of another related line.  Ewen lived on Locheil lands around 1800 - 1850 and stole sheep from a fellow named Cameron of Corriechoillie.
My connection to the Locheil Camerons appears to be through the McMaster family who lived in and around Kilmonivaig and Kilmallie.  My great great grandmother Kirsty McMaster married Alexander McPhee in 1857, their oldest daughter Helen married John McPhail about 1878, Helen and John's second daughter married Margaret married Donald Stewart about 1904, they had my mother Helen Stewart, who then married a Canadian soldier in 1946 so here I am.    Using dna I have uncovered some strong links to other descendents of the Locheil Cameron, and it does appear that a Cameron daughter married a McMaster man who seems to be my ancestor.  Lots of "weasel words" until I can verify all this.

I do think that the Ewen McPhee I descend from may not be the outlaw, but a comtemporary (cousin) of his.  My mother who was born in 1911 felt confident her granny's grandfather was the outlaw, based on family stories.

I am also learning (quickly) abou all the emigration of Scots from Invernesshire to Eastern Canada and Eastern Ontario.  Many seem to have had links to Culloden.  Lots to keep me busy.

Cheers, Margaret

Heather Cameron

Hi Margaret,

Sounds like you have done a fair bit of genealogy.
I am sure you will be good with running the Clan Cameron. I can give you a hand.
Have some links to Clan Cameron resources online. We just have to get enough people
to start talking about the clan and the families connecting into it. Is the McPhail one here too?

As mentioned my line of Camerons married into the Grant family way back.

For starters here is the US arm of my family.

http://www.cameronhistory.info
Robert Cameron set up this website, and Diana Mackie did a lot of genealogy research for him.
There are Mackies in the family.

Apparently there were two Camerons/McPhails living around Inveravon on either side of the Spey River,
It seems they may have been connected and from the one famiy in the 1600s. Everything looks to be traced back
to the Spey River near the whisky distillery now there today. There is talk of illegal whisky making too.

Heather

Margaret and Heather,

Sorry for sitting on this. https://scottish-clan-genealogy.groups.io/g/Clan-Cameron is live, although waiting for approval before invitations can be sent. One of you might write to Anne at Rootsweb for the list of subscriber emails to the Cameron surname list and Clan-Cameron list.

I did basic settings and links, but will leave it to you both to make that homepage pretty, announce the group on https://groups.io/g/RootsWeb-Announce and etc. Joining https://groups.io/g/Gen-listowners might be useful.

As soon as you two have subscribed I can make you owners, and bow out - until I find Camerons! Then I'll be sure to post.

Valorie