Walter and Samuel Macqueen.

Jane Macgillivray

Re Macqueens below

Thank you for the link re Samuel and Walter Macqueen.

I am somewhat familiar with Macqueens in Petty in 18th century, but I have never seen the name Samuel in any documents or parish records in the north of Scotland. (The name is quite unusual with any surname).

The name Samuel Macqueen though is found in Port of Menteith – Stirlingshire or  Perthshire…

One particular Walter Macqueen (I have born 1719 Port of Menteith) married Marion Junkine (Jenkins) with children Elizabeth, Mary, Christian, Helen and Samuel born 1763 and Walter born 1766.

This Samuel married Margaret McAdam and had children at Thornhill, Walter, Peter, Ann George, John, Margaret, William, Janet and David.

Walter was a name used also by Buchanans and Stewarts in this area,

I therefore posit that Samuel Macqueen in America was probably born in Perthshire. My mother was a Macqueen from this area, and family legend has it that these Macqueens came originally from Isle of Skye, although this must have been in 17th century or earlier as found after this in quite large numbers around Port of Menteith.

The Corribrough Macqueens probably came from Isle of Skye as well… There seem to be very few of them, it was not a large family.  I believe they left the Inverness/Nairn area in early 19th century (in fact in one letter (Catherine Mackintosh of Farr) it was stated to go to Perthshire for the education of the children).

Jane Macgillivray